Thursday, September 13, 2007

Essential Question

I decided to focus on my history class for this assignment, and create a project for the study of the causes of the American Revolution. In the past, my students read about - did worksheets on - watched videos of - blah,blah,blah - about the Revolution. My gut feeling was, though, that while they might have memorized the causes, they didn't quite understand them. I wanted to create a lesson that would actually garner some empathy rather than sympathy. I wanted them to FEEL what he colonists felt: This is OUR country, d*mnit!!
That being said, I'm thinking about ways for them to answer the question: "What was life like for a teenager growing up in Boston in the year 1776?"
I know 1776 was essentially the climactic year of the war, but I think that the causes as well as the war itself will come through in the preparation and presentation. (I hope)

1 comment:

Mac said...

I really like your focus. It should personalize the study of the Revolution for the students. Where will they get their information to answer the question? Will they work alone, in small gorups, or as a whole class? Will they read any of Johnny Tremain? I love this period of history and have read the George Washington biography that came out two years ago and most of the Kenneth Roberts books, esp. Oliver Wiswell, Rabble in Arms, Northwest Passage.